One hundred and five girls are still missing after Boko Haram terrorist group on Monday attacked the Government Girls Secondary School in Dapchi, Bursari Local Government Area of Yobe State.
But with many girls failing to return home, parents have expressed fears that the girls might have been kidnapped.
Some of the girls’ parents told the Agence France Presse that they had set up a support group after the attack, bringing to memory a similar situation which occurred when the insurgent group kidnapped 214 Chibok schoolgirls on April 14, 2014.
The chairman of the newly created group, Bashir Manzo, said, “Our first step was to compile a comprehensive list of all the missing girls. So far, we have compiled the names of 105.”
Manzo, whose 16-year-old daughter, Fatima, is among the missing girls, said the schoolgirls’ mothers and fathers would seek a meeting with the Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Gaidam.
He said, “We believe he (Gaidam) was misinformed (about the rescue of 48 of the girls). The school authorities from the beginning denied and kept denying that our daughters were taken.
“We will see the governor and seek his help, as well as anyone who matters that can in one way or another assist in ensuring the freedom of our girls.”
President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday said he was sorry that the attack which led to the abduction of the students from the Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State, happened.
He described the incident as a national disaster.
Buhari stated these in a statement made available to journalists by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu.
He said he shared the pains of the parents whose children and wards were abducted and would spare no effort in ensuring that the students were rescued.
The President said the Federal Government would be sending more troops and surveillance aircraft for a 24-hour surveillance of the area.
He said, “When I received the devastating news of the attack on the school and the fact that the local authorities could not account for all the students, I immediately dispatched a high-level delegation on a fact-finding visit to the town.
“I also instructed the security agencies to deploy in full and not spare any effort to ensure that all the girls are returned safely, and the attackers arrested and made to face justice.
“The entire country stands as one with the girls’ families, the government and the people of Yobe State.
“This is a national disaster. We are sorry that this could have happened and (we) share your pain. We pray that our gallant armed forces will locate and safely return your missing family members.
#OurLivesMatter rallies and campaigns have become more necessary in the face of #DapchiGirls issue. I hope we @AbdulMahmud01 @segalink @OurMumuDonDo and others can work together on this. It is like Nigerians are giving up and losing hope.
— Sir.Ariyo-Dare Atoye (@AriyoAristotle) February 24, 2018
I’m limiting my comments on this matter of the kidnapped #DapchiGirls but it again shows the kind of Govt we have under APC and Buhari and should absolutely dictate how people relate to them henceforth.
Some of us have long known their culture of lies, now the world knows too.
— Demola Olarewaju (@DemolaRewaju) February 23, 2018
Parents of #DapchiGirls are being intimidated and muzzled into silence. Is this how to treat grieving parents? It’s Chibok all over again.
— #BringBackOurGirls (@BBOG_Nigeria) February 23, 2018
#DapchiGirls: Boko Haram attacked school to embarrass govt, Information Minister Lai #Mohammed tells journalists. Can govt just recover these girls, to EMBARRASS #BokoHaram for once! pic.twitter.com/cn3V1QBPS4
— Nnamdi Obasi (@NnamdiObasi) February 23, 2018
— Kayode Ogundamisi (@ogundamisi) February 24, 2018
The post ‘105 Are The Missing Girls,’ – Dapchi Parents Insist appeared first on LATEST NIGERIAN NEWS BREAKING HEADLINES NEWSPAPERS.