You are here
Home > HEADLINES > Alleged N2.5bn fraud: ‘Plan to rubbish DG NBC over stance on digital broadcasting’

Alleged N2.5bn fraud: ‘Plan to rubbish DG NBC over stance on digital broadcasting’

Please follow and like us:

  • 14
  • Share
Is’haq Modibbo Kawu, DG, NBC

The alleged misapplication of N2.5 billion grant released to the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) by the Federal Government has been described as a plan to rubbish the NBC DG, Mallam Is’haq Modibbo Kawu.

The media had on Thursday, reported the arrest of the NBC Director General, Ishaq Kawu, and other top management staff of the agency over their alleged involvements in the misapplication of the fund, while reports claimed Pinnacle was not qualified to handle the switchover project spearheaded by the Federal Ministry of Information.

The ICPC also, had, in a statement signed by Rasheedat Okoduwa, its spokesperson, on Thursday said it has so far quizzed the NBC Director General, Mallam Is’haq Modibbo, and other top management staff of the agency over their alleged involvements in the misapplication of the fund.

However, the agency had refuted the claim as a plan to rubbish the image of the NBC DG, Mallam Modibbo Kawu over his rising profile on account of his role in ensuring the smooth transition from analogue to digital broadcasting in Nigeria.

ALSO READ: NBC president tasks youths on entrepreneurship

Reports had alleged that the NBC boss recommended a private company, Pinnacle Communications Ltd to the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed for the release of the said fund, but contrary to the allegation, the agency said, the Pinnacle Communications Ltd won in a bid conducted by the then Emeka Mba led NBC and the said money was approved by the Presidency and not NBC DG.

But according to the agency, the Presidency had, in 2016, released N10 billion to the Ministry of Information and Culture for the digital switchover programme which entails migration of telephone lines from analogue to digital platform and a White Paper was issued directing that the process be specifically handled by two companies, Pinnacle and ITS, while an affiliate of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) won the bid to handle the process.

It was consequent upon this, it was said monies were released to these two companies by the Ministry of Information on orders of the presidency after jobs were carried out.

It would be recalled that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo commissioned the Abuja project while that of the Kaduna was done by the Governor Nasiru el Rufai.

The post Alleged N2.5bn fraud: ‘Plan to rubbish DG NBC over stance on digital broadcasting’ appeared first on Tribune.

Facebook Comments

Please follow and like us:

  • 14
  • Share

Leave a Reply

Top