The flag-off of “Operation Crocodile Smile” exercise was recently announced, but residents, in reaction, are of the opinion that men of the Nigerian Army only aim to torment them.
The Nigerian Army has, however, allayed the fear of the residents, saying the operation is to ensure safety.
- “The operation we had recently in Akoko area where kidnappers’ hideouts were crushed had brought peace to this state. The operation was a warning to the criminals and I think they have yielded to the warning.”
- “There is no gainsaying everybody is peace-loving.”
- “Python Dance is for Nigeria safety. We are to complement the effort of police. To make sure everyone is comfortable.”
- “Also Crocodile Smile will soon come here in Ondo, it is our next target. Those who have nothing to hide have nothing to fear. Crocodile Smile is not to torment the citizens but to ensure their safety. We will remain awake while our people will sleep.”
- In his remarks at the occasion, the state governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, commended the army and other security agencies in the state for the recent raid of the kidnappers’ dens and the arrest of some of the hoodlums in the forest in Akoko.
- He said the government would continue to collaborate with all the security agencies in the state so as to ensure that “our people go to sleep with their two eyes closed.”