Candle Fire Leaves Five Month-Old Baby Dead, Two Others Injured In Lagos

Please follow and like us:

  • 358
  • Share

 

Residents  in Bariga,  Shomolu Local Government Area of Lagos State yesterday woke up to the tragedy caused by a midnight fire, which burnt a five-month old infant beyond recognition, left two other children in critical condition, and destroyed property worth millions of naira.

The fire, which begun at about 11:20p.m. on Tuesday night was reportedly caused by a candlelight, which had been lit by one of the tenants in the one-storey apartment. The mother of the baby had gone to ease herself in the toilet when the candle, which had exhausted its wax, melted on an inflammable material, leading to the fire engulfing the whole room.

READ ALSO:  Tainted love for Thai junta chief's latest pop song

Also Read: [PHOTO] Gunmen Kill Two Federal University Students In Nasarawa

Spreading like a wildfire, the inferno escalated to other parts of the building, which alerted neighbours, who quickly mobilized to salvage the situation. They were able to rescue two children who were trapped in the building, but could do nothing to prevent the fire from burning the five-month old baby to death.

Efforts of The Guardian to have a chat with the mother of the toddler and two rescued kids, who had unknowingly begun the fire, proved abortive, as she was engaged in a non-stop heart-rending wailing.

According to another tenant who pleaded for anonymity, she said the fire could have resulted in more casualties but for the quick intervention of neighbours.

READ ALSO:  Fayose writes Buhari over renaming of Oye-Ekiti varsity

 

The post Candle Fire Leaves Five Month-Old Baby Dead, Two Others Injured In Lagos appeared first on LATEST NIGERIAN NEWS BREAKING HEADLINES NEWSPAPERS.

Facebook Comments

Please follow and like us:

  • 358
  • Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *