The number of persons that have been killed by a fresh cholera outbreak in Borno State has risen to 44. Commissioner for Health in the state, Dr. Haruna Mshelia, who made the disclosure on Friday while addressing journalists, said that to combat the disease and prevent future outbreak, vaccination would immediately commence in the four local government areas worst affected.
He said that the vaccination was to ensure the disease did not spread to other areas of the state after nearly 2,000 cases were reported in the last two weeks.
Mshelia said, “We are embarking on vaccination as from Monday to ensure we stop cholera from spreading.
“The vaccination has 80 per cent protection and anybody above one year can take it. A total of 1,926 cholera cases were recorded after the outbreak at Muna IDPs camp, which later spread to Dikwa and Monguno.”
Speaking further, the commissioner, who attributed the latest outbreak to poor hygiene among IDPs in parts of the state, said that in order to combat the spread of the disease, disinfection of toilets, latrines and sensitisation on personal hygiene had been carried out.
He said the state government, in partnership with other organisations, had established cholera treatment centres following the outbreak.
Commiserating with the families of those killed as a result of the outbreak, Mshelia commended international partners for their support in tackling the crisis.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]