BY IKE UCHECHUKWU(CALABAR)
A 21-year old 100 level Microbiology student, Miss Eke Ukam Ogolo of Cross River University of Technology (CRUTECH) was yesterday evening roasted to death while trying to pour kerosene into a lantern at 8 miles on the outskirt of Calabar Metropolis.
Vanguard gathered that the incident which occurred at Ikot Nkebere a community at 8-miles on the outskirt of Calabar Metropolis died while trying to refill a lamp with kerosene yesterday evening when the lantern exploded burning her face and other vital organs.
Speaking with Vanguard an eyewitness, Kelvin Ekere told Vanguard that Miss Eke Ukam Ogolo was trying to refill a lantern with kerosene when the lantern suddenly exploded and she died today at a private hospital where she gave up the ghost (Thursday) and she will be buried any moment from now .
“We had a large sound ,from there room and rush down but before we got there, the place had already been covered with smoke and we tried to help her but her face and her chest was already burnt we were not surprised she died today(Thursday) because she was badly injured from the explosion.
“Also another woman, a teacher who is my neighbour was also injured in another explosion, just few hours after Ogolo was confirmed dead, this is the sixth incident this year and we have stopped patronsing black marketers we buy directly from the filling stations.
“There is something wrong with the supply system because a lot of people have died the last time a mother of three and her two children also died ,the department of petroleum Resources need to do something immediately about this ugly trend .
A family member who simply identified himself as Mr. Felix said her sister just matriculated two weeks ago before her untimely death.
“We feel very sad and my parents have been devastated, she has been looking for this admission since four years but could not get it but she just gained the admission and matriculated two weeks ago but died in a mysterious circumstance,it is so sad, we are in grief ,and the pain is over the loss of our sister,” he said.
On his part , Operations Controller Mr. Bassey Nkanga warned that the Department of Petroleum Resources would partner with IPMAN in the state to reduce adulterated product especially Kerosene to the barest minimum by shutting down defaulting station who don’t buy from the right source.
He said: “Don’t buy doubtful product from anybody apart from the licensed depot, anyone who buys adulterated product and there is an explosion in any corner, that person will be held to face the necessary sanctions and the full wrath of the law.
“DRP is well equipped in checking petrol stations across the state to ensure that the right thing is done and all loopholes for adulteration blocked and reduced to the barest minimum’’, he said.
Mr. Lawrence Agim, IPMAN Chairman in Cross River, expressed sadness over incessant kerosene explosions in the state adding that it was unfortunate that the young undergraduate died in such a painful way.
Agim said that many families had been affected by such explosions and vowed to make sure that it never occurred again.