By Evelyn Okakwu
The federal government has asked a high court in the Federal Capital Territory to continue the trial of Kogi West Senator, Dino Melaye.
Mr Melaye is facing trial at the court for attempted suicide and allegedly destroying government vehicle.
Mr Melaye was charged after he reportedly attempted to jump from a moving police vehicle heading for Kogi State where the senator was expected to face a separate trial for alleged dissemination of false information and sponsorship of thugs.
The court presided over by a judge, Olasunbo Goodluck, adjourned the trial on May 17 after ruling that Mr Melaye’s counsel submitted sufficient documents to show that the defendant was ill.
Mr Malaye was hospitalised for a couple of weeks following injuries he sustained.
Following his hospitalisation, the defence counsel asked the court to adjourn the trial till Mr Melaye was fit enough to continue his trial.
They submitted a medical report which indicated that Mr Melaye was under medication and admitted at the Intensive Care Unit of the National Hospital.
Subsequently, the judge adjourned the mater, ‘sine-die’ meaning an indefinite adjournment till the defendant was reported well enough to resume trial.
The judge said her decision was based on the provision of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.
Mr Melaye however appeared in the Senate on May 30 with the aid of a walking stick and a medical aide to support his neck.
Following his recent appearance at the chambers, the Director of Public Prosecution, Federal Ministry of Justice, wrote the court’s registrar seeking the continuation of Mr Melaye’s trial.
The letter dated June, 4 and seen by PREMIUM TIMES drew the attention of the court to the reason for the adjournment of Mr Melaye’s case and added that the defendant had been discharged from hospital.
“My Lord, following his removal from the ICU, discharge from the National Hospital Abuja and his subsequent resumption of duty at the National Assembly precisely on May 30 and 31, 2018 we humbly apply for a date for the prosecution to open its case in line with the ruling of this honourable court cited above and hearing notices served accordingly,” the statement said.
The letter was signed by the prosecution counsel, Shuaibu Labaran.
When PREMIUM TIMES contacted the prosecution lawyer, he confirmed submission of the letter to the court.
He said a date for hearing was yet to be given by the court.
“Yes it is true that we have written the court. But we haven’t gotten a fresh date yet,” said Mr Labaran.