Plateau gov: Two killed, several injured in fracas

Please follow and like us:

  • 0
  • Share

Advertisement

Simon Lalong, governor of Plateau, has confirmed that two persons died during a fracas in the state on Thursday night.

Lalong said several others sustained injuries and are being treated in hospitals across Jos, the state capital.

He made this known while meeting with community and religious leaders in the state following the unrest.

TheCable had reported that there was a likelihood of a potential attack on Igbo residents after the Hausa in Port Harcourt, Rivers state, were alleged to have been assaulted earlier on Thursday.

Lalong had thereafter imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Jos and also ordered the deployment of security personnel across the city.

Confirming the incident, he said it “took us by surprise. I call on community and religious leaders to caution their wards at home as any culprit arrested would not go free as nobody is above the law.

“I want to tell all citizens that their security and welfare as the primary concern of Government is assured by the Rescue Administration. I am therefore enjoining all citizens to go about their business with the assurance that their safety is guaranteed.”

Lalong urged religious and community leaders, neighbourhood vigilantes and residents of the state to report anyone carrying out violent acts.

“We wish to restate that Plateau State remains home to all citizens of Nigeria irrespective of religion, ethnic extraction or political persuasion. I therefore enjoin all peace loving citizens to ensure that nothing is allowed to upset the hard earned peace in the State,” he said.

Follow us on twitter @thecableng

Copyright 2017 TheCable. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.thecable.ng as the source.

Facebook Comments

Please follow and like us:

  • 0
  • Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *