The Presidency on Thursday attacked former President Goodluck Jonathan on his claim to the introduction of Bank Verification Number (BVN), Treasury Single Account (TSA) and the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPS), asking Nigerians to dismiss what it called his “hollow boast.”
A statement issued by by Garba Shehu, Special Adviser to the President (Media & Publicity) in Abuja on Thursday, wondered “of what use is the announcement of good policies without the will to implement them?”
It said since President Buhari assumed office, Nigerians were witnesses to the huge success recorded through the implementation of the TSA where according to a statement, some government agencies that had over the years remitted peanut amounts or nothing at all are now periodically pumping billions into government coffers.
The statement noted that President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration introduced the whistle-blower policy as a veritable tool against corruption, noting that within six months of introducing this policy, over 5,000 reports were made through various channels, 365 actionable tips were received out of the 5000 reports. So far more than N200bn has been recovered.
It added: “The Presidency rejects former president, Dr Goodluck Jonathan’s astonishing claim, to the utter surprise of many, that there is more corruption in the country compared to when he left office. This is absolutely untrue. The facts on the ground today run contrary to his outlandish claim.
“President Muhammadu Buhari, in pursuit of the war against corruption, has set a number of local and international records, one of which is to call judicial officers in Nigeria to account. He is the first to set such a record.
“Not only that, this is the first time that top military commanders and Service Chiefs are brought to trial and convictions were achieved on account of corruption.
“Also, this is the first time a ruling party is convicting high profile citizens including former governors, who are members of same party. This is the first time the international community is acknowledging the efforts of a government of Nigeria in this regard as manifested by the selection of President Buhari by the African Union as the Anti-Corruption Champion of the continent.
“For the records, this is the first time a ruling party is investigating ranking officers of the administration, including some at the very top.
“In addition to the many firsts recorded by President Buhari’s administration, the government has introduced a lot of changes, considering that the laws relating to the fight against corruption cannot reasonably be static.”
It stated that in line with its aspiration to be ahead of the growing sophistication of corruption and financial crimes, the administration has initiated new legislations and proposed amendments to different sections of laws.
According to the Presidency, owing to these efforts and support all of relevant stakeholders, NFIU Act has been passed and President Buhari gave his assent on July 18, 2018.
It said the administration was working with the legislature for an expedited passage of the Proceeds of Crimes Bill to make the anti-corruption war more effective.
The statement averred that the former President does not have the facts to claim that there was any serious effort on the part of his administration to fight corruption.
It further said: “Finally, as evidenced from a fleeting look at the book, the former President had nothing to say about his own achievements.
“If there was a recession, and yes we had a moment in it, was it due to one year of President Buhari’s government?
“In his efforts to blame everyone but himself for his failures, Dr Jonathan heaped the blame for the predictable economic recession on President Buhari, ignoring the seeds sown under him through mismanagement and the process set in firm roots for the decline of the economy.
Evidently, he did nothing to avert the situation.
“As we have explained over and over, the recession in 2016 was caused by years of mismanagement and corruption.
“In the 16 years of PDP and earlier than that, the country solely relied on oil, the price of which was as high as 140 USD per barrel under their watch. Government simply reticulated oil revenue through personal spending by corrupt leaders, wasteful expenses and salaries; rather than investing in what would grow the economy. There was no investment in infrastructure as President Buhari is now doing in seaports, airports, power plants, railways, roads and housing.
“The oil windfall for the country was mismanaged, and Nigeria’s greatest opportunity for growth was turned into a tragedy.
“More worrisome, there were no savings. And to compound the problem and compromise growth of the economy, the previous government borrowed heavily, owed contractors and international oil companies.
“When President Buhari came into power in 2015, the country had accumulated debt, which took it back to the level it was before the Paris Club Debt forgiveness. Nigeria did not have fiscal buffers to withstand an oil shock when oil prices fell to as low as 28 USD.
“The oil shock should and could have been foreseen. When visionary Nigerians and economists foresaw this and warned of the dangers ahead, Dr Jonathan hounded such men as the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi 11 and Professor Chukwuma Soludo.
“Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, under Dr Jonathan’s administration also warned and she was rebuffed.
“The former President and his party have nothing to say about achievements. They ruled the country for 16 years and what is their record on jobs, power, rail, seaports, airports and internal security, including the crippling disaster of terrorism?”
The post Presidency attacks Jonathan over TSA, BVN, IPPS introduction claim appeared first on Tribune.