South-East Governors have finally banned all the activities of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, in their geo-political zone.
Information available reveals that the Governors were acting on a Presidential directive, as a pre-condition to reduce Military presence in the region.
However, some Political Analysts have raised an eyebrow on the ban of IPOB, as the Arewa Youths coalition are still allowed to operate in the North.
Recall, that the launch of Operation Python Dance II has raised tension in the South-East, leading to reported deaths in Aba, Abia State, and disruption to economic activities.
The Communique reads:
In view of the prevailing security situation in the South-East and its attendant consequences, the South-East Governors hereby resolve as follows:
- All activities of IPOB are hereby proscribed. IPOB and all other aggrieved groups are advised to articulate their position on all National issues and submit to the Committee of Governors, Ohaneze Ndigbo and National Assembly Members from the South-East Zone, through the Chairman, South-East Governors Forum.
- All Governors of South-East Zone are to ensure compliance in their respective state.
- South=East Governors Forum, Ohaneze Ndigbo and National Assembly Members do hereby reinforce their commitment to a united and indivisible Nigeria.
- We also reinforce our desire for the restructuring of Nigeria where all National issues will be discussed and amicably settled to achieve justice and fairness to every Nigerian.
- We reiterate our earlier position, that November 18, 2017, Governorship Election in Anambra State must hold.
- Accordingly, we appeal to Mr. President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR to please, withdraw the Military in the South-East Zone, while Police perform their traditional role of maintaining law and order.
- South-East Governors have taken concrete steps to protect lives and property of indigenes and non-indigenes in the South-East.
- We are in touch with the Northern Governors Forum, they have assured us of the safety of all our people living in the North and we have also planned for the exchange of visits between the Governors and to re-enforce the confidence of Nigerians in this respect.
- In keeping with our earlier position, we wish to assure Nigerians that full investigation is ongoing on all allegations of killings, maiming, and other unlawful conduct in the South-East Zone within this period. The Governors and the security agencies are in agreement that appropriate action will be taken against anyone found culpable.
- We advise all residents of the South-East to go about their normal businesses as Government of each State is committed to protecting everybody.
- Finally, we advise our people in the South-East to please be law abiding.
Engr. Nweze Dave Umahi, FNSE, FNATE
Governor of Ebonyi State/
Chairman, South-East Governors Forum