- We commend the Federal Government for finally submitting the name of the Justice Walter Onnoghen to the Senate for confirmation as the Chief Justice of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- This step, taken in furtherance of the provisions of Section 231 of the Constitution, finally puts paid to several months of speculation and conspiracy theories relating to the appointment of a substantive Chief Justice of the Federation.
- We hereby call on the Senate to confirm Justice Onnoghen as quickly as possible upon resumption from their recess on February 22, 2017. This will enable him to quickly implement an agenda to reposition the judiciary.
- We also commend the efforts of the Federal Ministry of Aviation to repair the runway of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport. While fears as to the extent of potential economic losses to the nation remain valid and must be assuaged, the resolve to permanently repair the runway and in so doing potentially save lives must be wholeheartedly commended.
- For a while, we have entertained fears that only an aviation mishap which may affect lots of lives will convince Nigerians of the necessity of this policy. These fears are exacerbated by reports that an aircraft belonging to Qatar Airways was almost involved in a crash as it attempted to take off.
In fact, we are afraid that there are unscrupulous elements in Nigeria who might instigate such a mishap to emphasise the need to carry out the repairs of the runway.
- We hope that the Ministry of Aviation and other government agencies will put in their best efforts to ensure the speedy completion of this project and the reopening of the NAIA.
God bless Nigeria.
By Deji Adeyanju from Abuja