‘Why Detained El-Zakzaky Agreed To Speak To The Media’ – Falana

Please follow and like us:

  • 359
  • Share

Femi Falana, senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), says Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN), agreed to speak to the press under the assumption that his release is imminent.

El-Zakzaky briefly addressed journalists on Saturday, January 13, to disprove claims that he was dead and to say he was “getting better”.

According to Falana, the Department of State Services (DSS) told the Shi’ites leader that the federal government was ready to let him go after over two years in custody.

The lawyer called on the government to therefore release him from incarceration “without further delay”.

He said El-Zakzaky has lost his left eye and government has ignored specialists’ advice that he should be taken abroad “to save the right eye”.

Falana said the Shi’ites leader’s wife has “been subjected to excruciating pain as some of the bullets deposited in her body on December 14, 2015 during the military invasion of their home in Zaria have not been removed”.

In a statement released on Sunday, Falana said: “Last week, it was widely rumoured in the social media that Sheik Ibraheem Elzakzaky had died in the illegal custody of the State Security Service. Although I was compelled to dismiss the dangerous rumour via a public statement I requested the federal government to release the Shiite leader and his wife for urgent medical attention.

Shi’ites Leader, El-Zakzaky Speaks From Detention

“Instead of acceding to my request the State Security Service misinformed Sheik Elzakzaky and his wife of the readiness of the federal government to release them after a media parade to assure the Shia community that the Sheik is alive and well. Hence, they agreed to the media parade which lasted for one minute and 20 seconds (yesterday) in an undisclosed detention custody at Abuja.

“But contrary to the official claim that the Shiite leader is hale and hearty he is currently wearing a neck collar support which was procured for him when he fell sometime last December.

“That was when his personal doctor was allowed to examine him for the first time in his over 2-year detention period. Before the neck injury he had lost his left eye while the recommendation of eye specialists that he be flown abroad to save the right eye and prevent him from going totally blind has been ignored by the federal government.

“In fact, the medical state of his wife is by far worse than his. She has been subjected to excruciating pain as some of the bullets deposited in her body on December 14, 2015 during the military invasion of their home in Zaria have not been removed. Hence, the organisers of the media parade deliberately prevented her from addressing the media representatives even though she was present at the so-called press conference.

“Having paraded the couple before the media, albeit illegally, the federal government should immediately proceed to purge itself of the aggravated contempt of the Federal High Court by complying with the order for their release from the illegal custody of the State Security Service.

“The order which was made on December 2, 2016 has not been set aside by any higher court. Yet, the federal government which claims to operate under the Rule of Law has ignored the court order. However, if the federal government does not want to end the official impunity of treating a valid and subsisting court order with disdain it should release the Elxakzakys to their children who have applied to take them abroad for urgent medical treatment.

“This request is in line with Nigerian Prison Regulation 12 which stipulates that even convicts shall be released to their relatives or friends if the prison has no facilities for treating them. In Fawehinmi v The State (1990) 1 NWLR (pt 127) 486 the appellant was granted bail and released on bail pending trial by a military junta. The situation should not be worse under a democratic dispensation.

2019: ‘Defectors Free To Pick Up Our Presidential Ticket’ – PDP

READ ALSO:  Kaduna APC crisis: Another faction annuls el-Rufai’s suspension

“In the instant case, the Elzakzakys have not been charged with any criminal offence whatsoever. The spurious claim of the federal government that the detainees are held “in protective custody” was poohpoohed and dismissed by the Federal High Court (per G. O. Kolawole J.). Instead of chasing the shadow by subjecting the couple to illegal media parade the federal government should direct the State Security Service to release them from illegal incarceration without any further delay.”

The post ‘Why Detained El-Zakzaky Agreed To Speak To The Media’ – Falana appeared first on LATEST NIGERIAN NEWS BREAKING HEADLINES NEWSPAPERS.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *